Monday, June 17, 2013

Cake March

The cakes I made way back in March:

Lego Wedding Cake kristalcoles.comThis Lego cake was for an outdoor wedding that was super cute!  Everything was Lego themed, right down to the bride's shoes.  The bride was our first babysitter after we moved to AZ and her mom is one of my dearest friends.  I loved doing this this for them!

The blue brick is just styrofoam covered in icing and fondant - they didn't want too much cake or leftovers.  The other bricks are cake, I think I did chocolate and vanilla, also covered in icing and marshmallow fondant.  The circles are just extra thick fondant.  And, yes, I did make them to-scale so I ended up using the cap from a laundry soap bottle to get the right size circle.

[caption id="attachment_1364" align="aligncenter" width="560"]The topper was simply a Lego bride and groom secured with a little corn syrup. The topper was simply a Lego bride and groom secured with a little corn syrup.[/caption]

The following weekend we celebrated Elizabeth's 7th birthday at the pool with this fun cake.

Sand Castle Mermaid Cake kristalcoles.comThis cake was so fun and super easy!  I baked the cake in my glass bowls and then stacked and cut them to shape the main part of the castle.  The moat was cut from a small sheet cake.

The towers were made from paper towel tubes covered in icing and then rolled in the "sand" and their roofs are ice cream cones that I did the same thing to.  I cut half circles from the sides of the cake so the towers would fit right up against it.  Then I iced the rest of the cake and added the "sand".  The shells and sea stars are made from molded white chocolate.

Sand Castle "Sand" Recipe




  • 1 box Nilla wafers

  • 1 pack cinnamon graham crackers

  • 1-2 Tbsp brown sugar


Blend everything together in a food processor.  Add more graham crackers if mixture is too sticky.

[caption id="attachment_1366" align="aligncenter" width="560"]Mermaids need water!  Or at least a little pool of gelatin to dip their fins in. Mermaids need water! Or at least a little pool of gelatin to dip their fins in.[/caption]

To create the moat/mermaid pool I used the jiggly recipe from some blue gelatin.  The recipe called for a lot more than I needed, though, so if you do it cut the recipe in half or more.  I iced the entire inside of the pool so the gelatin wouldn't soak into the cake.

We also served fish crackers and Swedish fish.  The girls loved it!

This cake was so fun because I didn't have to be precise, especially compared to doing the Lego cake!  The messier, the better with this cake.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...