Sunday, June 8, 2008

Here's Your Sign


If you don't get it . . . well, you're probably not a Mormon. If you did get it and think it would make a funny shirt, CLICK HERE.

Long story short: these three bad guys from the Book of Mormon are usually lumped together because they were Anti-Christs. Another thing they (at least 2 of the 3) are known for is asking a true prophet to prove his teachings by sending a "sign."

Sherem (Jacob 7:13-15):

13 And it came to pass that he said unto me: Show me a sign by this power of the Holy Ghost, in the which ye know so much.

14 And I said unto him: What am I that I should tempt God to show unto thee a sign in the thing which thou knowest to be true? Yet thou wilt deny it, because thou art of the devil. Nevertheless, not my will be done; but if God shall smite thee, let that be a sign unto thee that he has power, both in heaven and in earth; and also, that Christ shall come. And thy will, O Lord, be done, and not mine.

15 And it came to pass that when I, Jacob, had spoken these words, the power of the Lord came upon him, insomuch that he fell to the earth.

Nehor
Although the scriptures don't mention him seeking a sign, he is grouped with the others because of his Anti-Christ teachings and the fatal result that followed (Alma 1:15):

15 And it came to pass that they took him; and his name was Nehor; and they carried him upon the top of the hill Manti, and there he was caused, or rather did acknowledge, between the heavens and the earth, that what he had taught to the people was contrary to the word of God; and there he suffered an ignominious death.

Korihor (Alma 30:43-50):


43 And now Korihor said unto Alma: If thou wilt show me a sign, that I may be convinced that there is a God, yea, show unto me that he hath power, and then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words.

44 But Alma said unto him: Thou hast had signs enough; will ye tempt your God? Will ye say, Show unto me a sign, when ye have the testimony of all these thy brethren, and also all the holy prophets? The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator.

45 And yet do ye go about, leading away the hearts of this people, testifying unto them there is no God? And yet will ye deny against all these witnesses? And he said: Yea, I will deny, except ye shall show me a sign.

46 And now it came to pass that Alma said unto him: Behold, I am grieved because of the hardness of your heart, yea, that ye will still resist the spirit of the truth, that thy soul may be destroyed.

47 But behold, it is better that thy soul should be lost than that thou shouldst be the means of bringing many souls down to destruction, by thy lying and by thy flattering words; therefore if thou shalt deny again, behold God shall smite thee, that thou shalt become dumb, that thou shalt never open thy mouth any more, that thou shalt not deceive this people any more.

48 Now Korihor said unto him: I do not deny the existence of a God, but I do not believe that there is a God; and I say also, that ye do not know that there is a God; and except ye show me a sign, I will not believe.

49 Now Alma said unto him: This will I give unto thee for a sign, that thou shalt be struck dumb, according to my words; and I say, that in the name of God, ye shall be struck dumb, that ye shall no more have utterance.

50 Now when Alma had said these words, Korihor was struck dumb, that he could not have utterance, according to the words of Alma.

* * *

1. The only movement I got today was waving my arms around like a crazy lady for 90 minutes while leading a choir of young women. Does that count?

2. Who has time to eat sweets? Did you not read #1?

3. Tonight we ate one of my favorite dinners - steak! I think this 21 Day Challenge is actually starting to change my habits. I only ate what fit on my little 9" plate and even then didn't eat everything. Don't worry, I'm not developing an actual eating disorder and trying to starve to death. I just got to a point where I wasn't hungry and stopped. Imagine that!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...