Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Cake Pull & Wedding Topper

The only two specialty cakes I made in 2012 were a quinceañera cake and a wedding cake.

In March I made this cake for a 15 year old girl who wanted a cake pull included in her quinceañera party.

[caption id="attachment_1267" align="aligncenter" width="560"]Red Velvet Cake with mm fondant. Red Velvet Cake with mm fondant. Disregard the white bow I decided to switch out![/caption]

The whole idea of a cake pull is so neat to me.  I can't wait to use it for one of Elizabeth's birthdays or bridal shower!  The young lady whom I made this cake for chose each charm to represent a specific quality/fortune (like a horoscope/fortune cookie type thing).  At the party each of her closest friends simultaneously pulled a ribbon to see which charm fate had chosen for them (no one knew where I had placed each specific charm!).  Fun, huh?  I kept the charms off the fondant and cake by placing the top tier on a cake board and a piece of parchment paper between the charms and the bottom tier.

I also made my first wedding cake for a friend who was married New Year's Eve.  The cake had to travel to Utah and be stored for a few days so I did not assemble it, which means no pictures.  It was a two tiered square cake covered in white fondant.  The top was chocolate cake, the bottom was rice cereal treats.  They were to be stacked askew and then wrapped with a few strands of black thin ribbon.

I did, however, get a picture of the topper.  Aren't they cute?

[caption id="attachment_1268" align="aligncenter" width="451"]Snowmen Wedding Topper, as requested by the winter bride. Sorry, no Parson Brown. Snowmen Wedding Topper, as requested by the winter bride.[/caption]

UPDATE (yes, very nearly right after I published this..): below is the finished, assembled cake.  The bride stacked the tiers and added the ribbons and dots.  So glad it made the journey safely!

[caption id="attachment_1273" align="aligncenter" width="243"]Winter Wedding Cake Winter Wedding Cake[/caption]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...