Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Want It All

One frustration I have when it comes to a healthy lifestyle is anything to do with MEALS.

Be it planning, preparation, shopping, or trying to convince my children that it really does taste good and that, no, contrary to what you may believe, I am NOT a short-order cook.

I have a handful of recipes that I really like and that meet my high standards (I mean, stupid, picky requirements.) But then I get bored and it's off for that double cheeseburger again.

Part of this next week's planning will include the gathering of recipes that I will be excited to try and hopefully will become a regular part of our diet...ahem, lifestyle.

If you have any great recipes (or tips) that meet the following list of stupid, picky requirements; please be so kind as to share them with me!

1. Healthy.

2. Tastes Good.

3. Common ingredients. As in, Wal-Mart, the local veggie market, and occasionally an actual grocery store with a sale is where I shop. I'm not driving all over the Valley to find unique ingredients, nor do I have the money to do so! Which brings me to . . .

4. Inexpensive. I mean really cheap! Remember: I'm cooking for six here (and some are pre-teen boys!) Believe it or not, I only spend $140/week on groceries and food storage and household items combined. *For those of you doing the math, that's just over $1 per serving if all the money goes to that week's food.*

5. Little to no prep time. Ideally 30 minutes or less, and that's including the prep time. Or, even better . . .

6. Can be made in bulk ahead of time and frozen. I love to stock my freezer with prepared meals. It makes dinner time at a hectic house easy. It's also a great way to be prepared in the event that a friend or neighbor is sick and needs your help with dinner, etc. The problem is most freezer recipes are not as healthy as I'd like.

7. Kids will eat it. I don't have the pickiest eaters, but they are "normal" kids (when it comes to food!)

8. BONUS: If it can be made with "food storage" items, even better!

Mostly I'm looking for dinners, but will take any great recipes and tips I can get . . .


I want it all!

(and I want to eat it, too!)




*photo from Microsoft Publisher clip art*

1 comment:

Kristal said...

So far I've only gotten one recipe (thanks Andrea, it looks yummy!). That either means one of three things:
1. You stay skinny by not eating and therefore have no good recipes to offer,
2. You want me to remain "loveably chunky," or
3. You aren't reading my blog as often as I thought you were!

MMmmmmmmmm?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...