Be it planning, preparation, shopping, or trying to convince my children that it really does taste good and that, no, contrary to what you may believe, I am NOT a short-order cook.
I have a handful of recipes that I really like and that meet my high standards (I mean, stupid, picky requirements.) But then I get bored and it's off for that double cheeseburger again.
Part of this next week's planning will include the gathering of recipes that I will be excited to try and hopefully will become a regular part of our diet...ahem, lifestyle.
If you have any great recipes (or tips) that meet the following list of stupid, picky requirements; please be so kind as to share them with me!
2. Tastes Good.
3. Common ingredients. As in, Wal-Mart, the local veggie market, and occasionally an actual grocery store with a sale is where I shop. I'm not driving all over the Valley to find unique ingredients, nor do I have the money to do so! Which brings me to . . .
4. Inexpensive. I mean really cheap! Remember: I'm cooking for six here (and some are pre-teen boys!) Believe it or not, I only spend $140/week on groceries and food storage and household items combined. *For those of you doing the math, that's just over $1 per serving if all the money goes to that week's food.*
5. Little to no prep time. Ideally 30 minutes or less, and that's including the prep time. Or, even better . . .
6. Can be made in bulk ahead of time and frozen. I love to stock my freezer with prepared meals. It makes dinner time at a hectic house easy. It's also a great way to be prepared in the event that a friend or neighbor is sick and needs your help with dinner, etc. The problem is most freezer recipes are not as healthy as I'd like.
7. Kids will eat it. I don't have the pickiest eaters, but they are "normal" kids (when it comes to food!)
8. BONUS: If it can be made with "food storage" items, even better!
Mostly I'm looking for dinners, but will take any great recipes and tips I can get . . .
I want it all!
(and I want to eat it, too!)
*photo from Microsoft Publisher clip art*