Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Be excited, but don't pee your pants . . .

"I wanna talk about me, wanna talk about I, wanna talk about number one, oh my, me my..."
Does anyone else hear a country song rolling through their mind?

I hate to admit it, but I DO love to talk about myself. I like to think I have something in common with everyone. And after chatting a little while, some commonality usually surfaces. So I find that talking about myself typically can start up lots of fun and interesting conversations . . . so long as it's not all about me.

For example, at first meeting would you tell me about the time you peed your pants underneath your grandmother's staircase because you were trying to win a game of Hide and Seek? Or would you tell me that as a child you preferred the closet to the toilet (you know who you are . . . .) Certainly not if I were just sitting next to you quietly waiting for you to say the first word! But if I were to break the ice with some anecdote about my toilet training toddler . . . who knows what you might divulge.

Believe it or not this sort of thing happens to me all the time. People sharing their intimate details, not peeing my pants, of course. A trust is tested and a new friendship emerges.

So here's my dilemma: What in the world do I share in my "About Me" section? It's fun to talk about myself when someone is interjecting their own personal experiences. But it feels down-right pretentious to just type it onto my computer and assume anyone else really cares.

What do you want to know about me?
Media Credit: Kurt Francom, The Daily Utah Chronicle, 8.28.2007

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...